With rolling green hills, exquisite wines, a culinary culture and history that remains the envy of the region, the stunning landscapes of Ciociaria provide the perfect backdrop to Palazzo Tronconi walking holidays.
Staying at our small, historic hotel in the medieval town of Arce, our English speaking experienced walking guides will take you off the beaten track allowing you to see the real Italy. On four walks you will discover breathtaking countryside, hidden hilltop villages and silent valleys, see age old customs and traditions combined with with historical landmarks.
Along your journeys sample delicious food at local mountain restaurants that serve up honest, hearty, traditional food.
This holiday is ideal for all ages it can be adapted for a more advanced walking group.
On the final day you will be invited to a personal tour of the hotel’s vineyard and winery with Marco, winemaker and owner of Palazzo Tronconi.
Walking level from 1-5
Level 3 – medium (can be adapted accordingly)
€1,120 per person for a booking of two people
€1,000 per person for booking of 4 people or more
What this includes:
- 6 days (5 nights) accommodationin our renovated historic 18th Century Boutique Hotel
- Generous breakfasts including home baked traditional pastries and fresh Italian coffee.
- Lunches and dinners are included at our hotel, winery restaurant and other favourite restaurants *excludes drinks
- Guided Walk 1 Cassino- Climb to Monte Cassino from the path of S. Scolastica, and walking through the area of Mount Calvario, visiting the obelisk, a monument dedicated to the Polish soldiers and the Polish cemetery. We will continue on to the exploded tank and at the Domek Doktora, where the injured were treated. A visit the Abbey of Montecassino the worlds most glorious abbey, which stands proud on the hill which dominates Cassino and the Gariglian valley. Finish the tour heading down the panoramic Via Di San Benedetto, admiring the Roman theater and the archaeological area of Cassino.
- Guided Walk 2 to National Park of Abruzzo – Abruzzo is an area of unspoiled natural beauty that is fairly unknown to tourists. It’s in the heart of the central Apennines between Abruzzi, Lazio and Molise and its some 50,000 hectares are home to 25 towns. The great Appenine, peaks, a stunning mountain region of picturesque hilltop towns and silent valleys. We will enter at the National Park of Abruzzo Lazio and Molise, starting from the Abbey of Canneto, we will walk the lush Valle di Canneto, pausing at the waterfall where Pope Woytila was gathered in prayer and with a bit of luck we can spot natural wildlife that inhabit the park.
- Guided Walk 3 to the beautiful historic Arpino- characterised by ancient narrow alleys and historic buildings, this is a stunning starting point for the ascent to the village of Civitavecchia, surrounded by megalithic walls and accessible via a pointed arch. Walking between woods and streams we will descend in the gorge of Melfa, following the river to reach Roccasecca.
- Guided Walk 4 Forca d’Acero in the National Park of Abruzzo – Departing from Forca d’Acero, a walk through the woods and clearings of Macchiarvana, arriving at the sanctuary of Monte Tranquillo. The scenery here is characterized by mountain chains, rivers and streams. It’s the ideal place to spend a day in close contact with nature and to admire unpoluted landscapes, rich flora and varied fauna. Here a chance to spot certain species such as the Marsican brown bear (40 bears), golden eagle, Apennine wolf, deer, otter and chamois, have all found refuge and their habitat amongst these remote valleys and inaccessible mountains. A visit of the village of Pescasseroli.
- A personal wine tour of our Demeter certified biodynamic vineyard and Eco Winery and tasting with Owner and oenologist Marco Marrocco
- A 5 Course Organic Lunch paired with the wines we produce at our Winery Restaurant
- Drop off and collection to all starting and finishing points of walks
*Note flights are not included, closest airport is Rome, transfers from airport may be arranged