A warm cloudy day on the vineyard and we are preparing and spraying Horn Manure known as “500”. It is obtained by the transformation of high-quality cow manure that has been put into cow horns and buried under the earth for the winter period. It’s the main preparation and was developed by Rudolf Steiner in 1924, 500 stimulates and harmonizes humus formation processes in the soil.
The preparations have undergone a complete transformation underground during the winter months, they are moist, brownish black in colour, and odourless, or with a slightly earthy, humic smell.
Mixed with water, the preparation is spread in the early spring (when the soil is waking up) and the late autumn (when the soil is going to sleep), before the most intense period of biological activity in the soil has started.
It is a powerful means for structuring the soil
- It stimulates soil microbial activity of the soil and the production of humus
- It regulates the pH balance of the soil
- It stimulates seed germination and root development, in particular vertical growth, increasing depth of root systems
- It improves the development of leguminous plants (Fabaceae) and nodule formation
- It helps dissolve minerals even in deep layers (alios) and can helps counteract excessive salt levels.